Carpets are a costly investment and require proper care to maintain their appearance and lustre. While fibres rarely wear away, they can give a worn appearance from built up soil, dust and grease. By establishing a regular carpet cleaning maintenance program, you can prolong your carpet’s life, saving you money in the long term.
The following are some tips to keep your carpets looking new.
- Rearrange furniture or use area rugs. If possible, rearrange furniture periodically to change traffic routes and prevent heavy furniture from harming the carpet pile. If possible, use area rugs in heavy traffic areas to prevent extra wear.
- Use area rugs wisely. Remember that area rugs also need to be cleaned regularly, as does the carpet underneath. After cleaning, allow the carpet and rugs to dry completely before replacing to prevent mould or mildew from forming.
- Use door mats and remove shoes. Prevent as much outdoor dirt and moisture from entering by using door mats and removing shoes whenever possible. A simple yet effective practice.
- Vacuum regularly. Dirt wears down the fibres in your carpet, so vacuuming regularly will help prevent soil build up. Heavy traffic areas should be vacuumed daily and the whole home once a week.
- Act quickly on spots and spills. Treat spills immediately to avoid stains setting in. While stain resistant treatments help the cleaning and removal of spills, no carpet is stain proof.
- Keep non-carpeted flooring clean. Keep hard surface flooring clean as dirt can be transferred to carpeted areas. This is especially important in the kitchen as grease and oil traipsed onto the carpet will attract soil and dirt more quickly.
- Use a quality pad under your carpet. A good pad will help your carpet’s resilience underfoot and will extend its life. Review warranty requirements prior to purchasing as some must meet minimum standards for the warranty to be valid.
- Avoid excessive pile crushing. Move heavy furniture regularly or use coasters purposed for carpet under furniture legs to dispurse weight and prevent pile crushing.
- Protect from direct sunlight. Use blinds or awnings to minimize exposure to direct sunlight. This is particularly important for coloured or dark carpets as they can fade over time.
The most important step in carpet care: vacuuming
Regular vacuuming will help the longevity of your carpet as it removes dust and surface dirt that over time, can be harmful. Vacuum thoroughly and frequently to ensure dry soil does not become embedded in the pile as it will become more difficult to remove and may wear the fibres. High traffic areas should be vacuumed daily and the whole living space once a week.
Vacuum cleaner recommendations:
Quality. A good vacuum cleaner will help remove both surface dirt and particles embedded in the pile. An investment in a quality machine will pay dividends over time.
Rotating Brush. This agitates the carpet pile and loosens soil in the fibres. It is important to ensure that the proper setting is used as thick loop pile may become fuzzy if excessively agitated.
Replaceable Bags. Paper bags are more effective than cloth at trapping small particles. Specialty microfiltration bags will also trap mold and mildew spores. All bags should be checked often and replaced when they are 1/2 to 2/3 full.
If you have additional questions or would like a free carpet cleaning consultation, contact us.